Scroll To Top

Browsing: Community

The Power of Truth

It’s been a quiet few weeks since tragedy ambushed our community. Doors have been closed and mouths silenced on these taboo topics that have retreated back to places of invisibility. Many are probably wondering why gang ...

The Power Of Healing

When I asked my aunties why my grandparents wanted to move to America from Samoa, they told me it was for the same reason most foreigners move here: a better life for the family. My grandparents ...

The Power of Community

As I scrolled down my Facebook timeline, I came across videos and pictures of a face I’d never seen, yet was so familiar. His name was George ‘Bk-ROC’ Tuihalamaka, a brother, an uncle, a son, a ...

The Power Of Love

The thirst for cultural connection is a distinct characteristic of what it means to be Polynesian, and greater still, to be Pacific Islander. Tongan culture and society, for example: Tauhi Vaha’a (maintaining good relations), ‘Ofa (love), ...

Marshallese Mother’s Touching Poem Brought Tears to the Eyes of World Leaders

World leaders came together on September 23rd for the United Nations Climate Summit 2014, the most significant meeting on climate change to happen in a few years. There were many prestigious speakers, including President Barack Obama, ...

Pacific Islander Leaders Of Tomorrow

PILOT has taken flight, and is soaring! A week long conference at the prestigious campus grounds of USC, PILOT (Pacific Islander Leaders of Tomorrow) fully intends to pick the brains of 18 bright individuals, training them ...

The Installation Of Lord Fusitu’a In The Kingdom Of Tonga

The Installation of Lord Fusitu’a in The Kingdom of Tonga occurred this past week when His Majesty King Tupou VI appointed the new Lord (born Matai’ulua-‘I-Fonuamotu Fusitu’a) to his title. Under the direction of the Lord ...

Breaking The Silence Conference June 11th-13th

The First Annual Pacific Islander Violence Prevention Conference will be held on June 11th-13th, 2014 at the College Of San Mateo in San Francisco, CA. Hosted by the Peninsula Conflict Resolution Center and facilitated by Malissa ...

Exclusive Interview: White House Policy Intern Tonga Hopoi

TWID: What motivates you on a daily basis? Tonga Hopoi: My daily motivation comes from my wanting to make the world a better place for my future children. Whomever they chose to be or choose to ...

Exclusive Interview: Harvard Graduate Student Moana Uluave

TWID: What kind of work do you do and what motivates in your (job, career,work)? MOANA ULUAVE: I am a writer and storyteller. When I was a kid, my mom would always tell me I fakamatala ...