Scroll To Top

Browsing: Community

22nd Annual Tahiti Fete To Continue Cultural Celebration

The 22nd Annual Tahiti Fete makes way unto the village of San Jose this weekend to continue the July-filled season of celebrating South Pacific culture. With the monumental success of the 4th Annual Island Reggae Festival ...

Pacific Islander Violence Prevention Conference 2015: A Recap

The Pacific Islander Violence Prevention Conference, hosted by the Pacific Conflict Resolution Center (San Mateo, Ca), held this past weekend at College of San Mateo could best be described as a continuum of conversation and ...

Our Ancestors Dreamt This: Pacific Islander Leaders of Tomorrow 2015

There’s an entire village behind us and a platform of shoulders we stand upon. To the hungry Pacific Islander student, the time you invest in learning about your culture and history this summer will take you ...

The Sacred White Mountain: Mauna Kea

Many have gathered to protect the historic Mauna Kea summit (Big Island, Hawaii) against TMT Corporation building a telescope that measures 34,000 feet and 18 stories tall. Mauna Kea, or “White Mountain”, stands as the ...

TONGAN WOMAN TO SELECT FROM TOP UNIVERSITIES TO PURSUE PhD DEGREE

In our Pacific Islander community, we pride ourselves on those who are out there making something of themselves- for God, for their family, for their community, and lastly for themselves. In the academic field, there are ...

Hon. Frederica Filipe’s Princess Diaries: The Virtue Of The Tongan Tau’olunga

“She stood in the middle of eager eyes and silent wonder. Her skin glistened with the oils of her village. Her face remnant of her island’s beauty. She is at a standstill – sharing a smile ...

Hon. Frederica Filipe’s Princess Diaries: LOOK AT ME AND DO WHAT I DO

There is a story that can be etched with a portrait, set of examples and, most especially, a historically rich and fulfilling lecture series. On December 8th, 2014, my mother, Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal, ...

How the Pacific Islander Community Is Impacted by Ferguson verdict: Understanding Race in America From a Pacific Islander Perspective

The Michael Brown case has become a controversial topic on all ends of the social media trail. Ferguson, MO has become a warzone of military infractions against protesters who are seeking justice as their cries for ...

Out From The Lions’ Den – Mr. Clive Edwards

Unlike the United States and Washington politics, the Kingdom of Tonga is undergoing another history-making election as the country builds its’ political identity and marches down the path of reformation, action, and fair representation. In 2010, ...

Hon. Frederica Filipe’s Princess Diaries: The Ceremony Of The Pae

The 22nd of October, 2014 will go down in my diary as a very special day for both me and my husband, Johnny, and our families. Both families came together to perform an exchange of traditional ...